Friday, January 7, 2011

Follow the yellow brick road


Do you ever wish you knew what your destiny was? Do you believe in destiny?

"Destiny may be seen either as a sequence of events that is inevitable and unchangeable, or that individuals choose their own destiny by choosing different paths throughout their life. In the sense of being unchangeable it is said that the different courses of action people take may still lead to a predetermined destiny."

Do you remember those old Choose Your Own Adventure books? My friend Rebecca just did a choose your own date where she had envelopes with different paths they could take. I believe in destiny. I believe that there is an end we all face, but that we just get to pick the path to it. For example, if I'm goug to get hit by a bus it doesn't matter if I turn left or right at an intersection: I'm still going to encounter that bus, but I have the choice of which way to turn.

Does that make sense? I know it's kind of fatalistic, but I think it can be a good thing, too. We could be destined for glory on the battlefield, for being the next Marie Curie or Einstein. Our destinies can lead us to a million different and interesting places.

But do you ever wonder what yours is? Is it your destiny to sit in that cubicle or office all day long and then go home too tired to do anything else? Is it your destiny to work for the paycheck at something that's just ok, but that you don't have a passion for? And if you could work in your passion, what would it be? Where would you go?

No comments:

Post a Comment