Monday, June 14, 2010

The definition of insanity


Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Actually, according to Webster, insanity is "a : extreme folly or unreasonableness b : something utterly foolish or unreasonable."

Foolish and unreasonable. Well, foolish I've got covered. I've done some horribly foolish things in my life, including drinking to excess, of course. I've driven drunk numerous times. I've snuck out of the house into the dark night when I was a little kid and wandered in the woods. I've slept with people without protection. I've said hurtful and foolish things. Foolish: lacking in sense, judgment, or discretion.

Unreasonable: exceeding the bounds of reason or moderation. Moderation, eh? Everything in moderation, including moderation, they say. Well, I sure couldn't moderate my drinking.

My insanity. I kept moving in or dating alcoholics expecting different results. Expecting they were going to suit up and show up. And then when they didn't, I was disappointed. Being disappointed in someone for acting like themselves isn't exactly fair to the other person, or to myself. Like it's been said in meetings, you have to realize that the other person is sick, too, and show them the compassion you would show an ill friend or family member.

I kept expecting my mom to change, too. I kept expecting her to be like a mom. To comfort and guide me, and not to have to mother her myself. I kept waiting for that moment when I could believe in her. When I could be proud. It wasn't until I had a paradigm shift and saw the little things she was actually doing to improve, that I could be happy with her and take what little she could give.

Insanity. Expecting different results, performing the same tasks. I suppose everything people end up doing is insanity in disguise. Insanity: Extreme foolishness; folly.I think I've got foolishness covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment