Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Calcium


Researchers "...identify a molecular switch that leads to a sustained increase of calcium in nerve cells and plays a crucial role in the formation of memory and addictive behaviors."

Apparently when your brain makes memories or addictive behaviors it uses calcium. According to a lot of studies I've seen, we don't get enough calcium, and our body has trouble using what it does get. "Although the dynamic is not well understood, tobacco smoking also appears to interfere with bone mineralization."

Since I quit smoking I've been taking a multi-vitamin to get my body back to a healthy place. I'm obviously not getting enough water, since my lips are really chapped and my skin is dry, but I'm at least getting the right vitamins. I'm hoping my body will just keep getting healthier, though the weight gain of being home and not smoking is getting to me. It's only about 5 pounds I've gained, but it took me so long to lose it that I'm nervous about putting it back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment