Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Travel on a dime


Therapy is one of those nice inventions. Thanks Dr. Freud for making it cool to go to therapy and spreading the love to us peasants. It's also really great that the place I go for therapy has poor people rates. My new (old from when I used to live here) psychiatrist on the other hand, does not. He's really expensive without insurance, but he's worth it. I really like him, and he totally remembered me.

My therapist is really proud of me for using my "limbo" time well. I'm making progress in changing my life for the better and finding out what I really want in life. I'm moving towards a better life.

So what do I want for myself? Well, I wish I had enough money to travel for a few years. Maybe I should join the Peace Corps. I didn't before because of my dog and my car, but I've proven that my mom can take care of those things. I would just need about $600 a month to pay my bills. I don't know where I would get that, unless I took out some money from my IRA, which tax-wise would be stupid, but it could work.

Then again, I just want to travel, not work. I wish I were rich. Where would I go? Well, I haven't done Asia or South America or Africa. I know! That's a lot. I think I would start with Chile and Peru. Then I would go to Vietnam and Thailand. Then maybe Japan, Morocco, South Africa, New Zealand. That's a lot of places, and a lot of money. If I'm not employed by March (when my benefits run out) I'm taking the rest of the money from my money market (about $4k) and running away with it. I think half that will get me a plane ticket somewhere far away, and the rest will be an apartment in some beautiful town like Santiago or Marrakesh.

Of course, it's all wishful thinking. I need a job, even a job in retail. I need some income. If it's a retail job, then I can afford to take the time to leave for a little bit and still have some money saved up. I need to stop spending all my money on clothes and tattoos. Alright, I'm calling a moratorium on spending. After this tattoo I'm buying nothing. No more plane tickets, no more clothes, no more tattoos. I'm saving my money for another trip or to pay bills while I'm on a trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment