Monday, February 21, 2011

Cut on que


Um....: "Videos depicting self-injury, in which people deliberately cut or wound themselves as a coping strategy, are gaining an online audience."

Ok, so the internet brings us all together and normalizes behaviors, right? Think you're weird? You can probably find someone like you on the internet. But that extends to things like pro-anorexia websites (which I will not link to) which teach you how to be anorexic and show skinny celebs as influence. Now there are these cutting websites? Jesus.

When I was suicidal my therapist said, "At least you're not looking at suicide videos." Honestly, it never even occurred to me that that sort of thing would be on the internet, but I suppose everything is on there. I feel disgusted thinking about it. Death is such a personal thing and to publicize it for what? Your last 15 minutes of fame? So someone else can follow in your footsteps? How incredibly selfish and disgusting.

People just don't have boundaries anymore (says the girl who shares everything with an anonymous audience). People don't know when to stop. Well, trust me, I'm not posting death videos or describing my cutting experiences in depth so others can follow suit. Ugh. Sometimes I hate the connectivity of the world these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment