Thursday, May 5, 2011

A summer ramble


I suppose my brain has been like this blog; off and on for months now. I keep falling into these depressions or just wormholes and then coming back out even better on the other side.

Still no job, and no more interviews, but I'm reaching out to fields I hadn't considered before. I'm going up north to help out my cousin in a couple of weeks for the summer, and I think I'm just going to put off job hunting till I get back in August. August. Wow. In September it will have been a year since I lost my job and moved home. What an incredible year it's been; full of ups and downs.

Speaking of years, on May 27th I'll have a year sober. Only 20 more days. It's just a miracle to me that I got sober when I did. If I had had to face this year drunk I would be dead, I know it. But one day at a time, one decision at a time, I've made it this far, still alive, still sober. I can't wait to collect my one year chip. I'm going to have to frame it, I think.

I went to a meeting tonight that was dual diagnosis (mental illness and addiction) which was pretty interesting. One guy had 10 years and said it really was all just one day at a time. It was changing his attitude to be calmer about things and to turn elsewhere in times of trouble, somewhere other than the bottle.

I like meetings. I do. I think AA is entertaining at least, and can be fun. I meet some good folks most of the time, but I've just had so many off-putting experiences here. Back where I used to live was just so much more... comfortable. I'm going to try AA up north this summer and see if the meetings are good. There are 2 meetings a week in the small town I'm going to. Maybe my cousin would even go with me. I don't want to push her, but I'm sure being in AA will be good for her. Or at least Al-Anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment