Saturday, June 12, 2010

A sponsor, a sponsor!


Finally got myself a sponsor! Her name is Maureen, and she's pretty cool, I think. She's in Al-Anon as well, so I know she'll get the family shit.

I saw her tonight at a meeting with the best speaker yet. He was hilarious, telling his tales of drunken revelry and multiple marriages. I was almost crying listening to him.

After the meeting, Maureen came up and said, "Have you read the Big Book yet?" I was proud to say I had, and I'd read the twelve and twelve, too! "Well, it's time to make your powerless and unmanageable lists. Work on those this week." My wha? Oh, list what I'm powerless over and how it was unmanageable. Jesus, that's kinda a tall order, but sponsors don't ask you to do anything they haven't done themselves.

Well, I'm powerless over life. I don't control anything, and I couldn't even control my drinking. So I guess there's a start. And unmanageable? My drinking had become unmanageable. I guess it all comes down to booze, in the end. Here's to lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment