Tuesday, October 5, 2010

More and more alcoholics


According to a new study, "More people are drinking than 20 years ago...." This is a rise above rates as close as the 1990s. They haven't yet deciphered if that means more alcoholics, but it seems like it would be something that would follow naturally with more drinking. I wonder if the rehab centers in the U.S. are seeing an uptick in patients with alcohol problems.

I also wonder if AA has seen an uptick in membership. I know that as being an alcoholic becomes less stigmatized they've seen more people, and I've met a few folks who joined when they were as young as 17. It's pretty amazing. I don't understand joining so young. Emily joined AA at 16, but left a year or so later. She now drinks like a normal person.

It seems like at 17 you're pretty stupid with all substances you use, especially alcohol. Even though you're underage, it's pretty easy to get a hold of, and when you've got it, it just seems like you have to abuse it in order to make it worth it. I'm not saying that young people can't be alcoholics, but I sure would relapse at age 21 just to make sure. But that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment