Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Some statistics


"More people quit their jobs in the past three months than were laid off — a sharp reversal after 15 straight months in which layoffs exceeded voluntary departures. The trend suggests the job market is finally thawing.

Some of the quitters are leaving for new jobs. Others have no firm offers. But their newfound confidence about landing work is itself evidence of more hiring and a strengthening economy."


Thawing, eh? This is from June. I know where I was living it sure hasn't thawed. It seems better here. There are a lot of jobs out there, just a lot I'm not qualified for.

"The number of unemployed persons (14.9 million) and the unemployment rate (9.6 percent) were little changed in August. From May through August, the jobless rate remained in the range of 9.5 to 9.7 percent." According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, "The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks and over) declined by 323,000 over
the month to 6.2 million. In August, 42.0 percent of unemployed persons had been jobless for 27 weeks or more."

27 weeks!!! Oh my God. I can't stay here for more than half a year! Jesus, that would just kill me to be dependent that long. To have to stay here where books go to heaven (have I mentioned my dad is a book collector? It's worse than you think.). I suppose I'll have to get used to the thought that this could last a little bit of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment