Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Aripiprazole is a great word


Maybe the desire to stop drinking came from the fact that drinking wasn't as pleasurable anymore, and I was just blacking out instead of feeling good. And maybe, just maybe, the Abilify had something to do with that.

According to a study released in 08, Abilify may reduce the pleasurable effects of alcohol and make it more of a sedative. "'Aripiprazole is a dopamine partial agonist,' explained Henry R. Kranzler, a professor in the department of psychiatry at the University of Connecticut Health Center and corresponding author for the study. 'Since dopamine is involved in the rewarding effects of alcohol, we thought that aripiprazole might reduce those effects.'" So it reduces the rewards we get from alcohol.

I can't remember when my doctor upped my Abilify. Wait, it was after I quit. So when did she put me on it? I wonder if she put me on it because she wanted me to quit drinking. She kept trying to get me to do it. Sneaky little witch.

No comments:

Post a Comment