Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blame your mom again


Your genes have a lot to do with your pre-disposition to alcoholism and addiction.They messed with mice again, and altered one gene that works on, you guessed it, dopamine.

"This study shows that the effects of chronic alcohol consumption on brain chemistry are critically influenced by an individual's pre-existing genetic makeup."


We've all seen the addiction that runs in families, but now they've finally found what may cause that. I suppose the alcoholism gene really did skip my parents and made it's way to me. It would explain why I have an addictive personality - I really genetically have one.

Also from the article: "(the study) suggest(s) that deficiency in dopamine D2 receptors may make people (and animals) less able to experience ordinary pleasures and more vulnerable to alcoholism, drug abuse, and even obesity."

Ordinary pleasures are less pleasurable, eh? Sounds a lot like depression to me. I wonder if they'll eventually link the D2 gene to mental illness. If the majority of us crazies have alcoholism and addiction, and the majority of alcoholics (that I've met) are nuts, this would explain a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment