Monday, September 27, 2010

How does it work?


I suppose I'm not quite comfortable yet in the AA groups around here. So far, they've been very different from where I came from.

Back in "the old country" every group opened up with How It Works, which is my favorite part. Then there's either a speaker or some discussion, and time for people in the audience to talk. People are laughing and funny, and it's a relaxed atmosphere.

Here, at home, I've found that no one reads How It Works, they always say the Our Father at the end, and the meetings have almost been formal and tense. There's laughing, sure, but it doesn't feel the same. I've also noticed less felons here, which is hilarious. Less court cards passed forwards.

I suppose 4 meetings is a tiny bit to judge a whole fellowship, so I'm going to try a bunch more meetings. There's a noon meeting near my dad's house, and those are usually my type of weirdos.

Adam told me not to attend certain groups, so I'm going to ask him about some young people's meetings. I've been desperately searching for a womens meeting somewhere, but apparently there are only one or two. Perhaps once I get more settled and know some people I can start one. I think it's really important to have that kind of safe place to talk about the specific issues women face in and out of this program.

No comments:

Post a Comment