Monday, June 28, 2010

Sometimes you're where you're supposed to be.



Sometimes you are in the perfect spot. It's like a higher power made it so. There's some sort of plan, fate perhaps.

Today, I had another annoying meeting with my boss. He's driving me nuts. So I said to myself, self, you're having trouble loving people today. Why don't you hit a meeting? I looked up my local (round the corner) meeting, and realized for the first time that there was a Monday one pm. It's an old timers meeting, but I figured they wouldn't mind me dropping in.

When it came time to share, they called on my friend Virginia. I hadn't noticed her there in the corner by the door. She and I are set up buddies for the Sunday meeting. When I first joined, she invited me to First Friday and saved me a seat. She was the first friendly face.

And now she cried. She spoke of her troubled life, and how alcohol used to take her away from her troubles, only to sober up and have them still there. And now that she's been sober 54 days, she still has these troubles, and nothing to turn to to make it all go away. She wept and tried to get out some of her feelings.

Sometimes you are just in the right space at the right time.

I went to her after the meeting and held her while she cried. I gave her my number, and permission to call me anytime, day or night, no matter what. I hope she calls. I hope she knows she's not in this alone. I hope she can break free of what's troubling her.

No comments:

Post a Comment