Friday, July 2, 2010

Control



So last night Adam accused me of being controlling. I was attempting to convince him to do something, something I think would be of benefit to us both, and he said I was trying to control the situation.

I really thought about it afterwards. Was I trying to manipulate him into doing my will? Was I really trying to control the situation by imposing my ideas on him? Maybe. I thought I was just trying to let him see the benefits of the situation - the good that would come of it - but I was doing it to benefit myself, and him. But what do I know about other people? I can't make a decision for him on what's best for him. I have to let him come to that decision himself.

So I'm not going to talk about it anymore. I'm going to remind myself to let go and let him make his own choices.

Losing control is constantly reminding yourself to let go. Not manipulate. Not even try to convince. Just listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment