Thursday, August 12, 2010

Abuse and mental illness


There are a lot of folks in AA who talk about their dual-diagnosis, as well as problems of incest and rape in their early lives. Many of them were raped while in intoxicated situations. Now, there is a study that may link sexual abuse to mental illness.

"Our most recent study identified an association between rape and subsequent diagnosis of a psychotic disorder over a 10-year period."

It's really not surprising. Children who are abused often withdraw and use substances or food to hide the pain. We all have pains, and we often drown them in booze and drugs. People who are abused often have hidden pain; they block out the situation and don't know why they drink.

Not that I've been abused. I had a weird thing with my cousin once, but I don't know if I would label it rape or abuse. Who knows. I just know life is hard, but AA IS the easier, softer way. It's good to be sober, and to be able to deal with your pain instead of push it down and let it fester.

No comments:

Post a Comment