Sunday, August 8, 2010

Monopoly


The speaker this morning was awesome. He's our usual coffee guy, and I'd never heard his story before. He's been through a lot in sobriety, and always stayed sober. He even had to take morphine for cancer, and it just reminded him how he didn't want to be high again.

He said an awesome thing: "Sobriety for me is like Monopoly. You go around and things happen to you. Sometimes you even go to jail and get a free pass. Sometimes you get a treasure chest, and sometimes you lose. But each year you go around and you get to experience something new. Sobriety is all about the experiences."

Another girl said, "When I was first sober, all I wanted to do was be around that board. I wanted to lie and say I was a year sober when I was really 90 days. I wanted to go through the steps, be healed, and then go back out."

I so want to go through the steps fast. I want around that board! Not so I can go drink, but because I think I should be able to get to where I'm going. I want to roll the die quickly and move on. But sobriety is also about patience. It's about experiencing everything, good and bad. And the slower you take that turn, the more you'll learn.

So, again, I'm slowing down. I'm taking my turn, and passing the die to God to make the path I need to be on. It doesn't mean I can't make decisions, but I'm going to make them slowly and to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment