Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Healthy tattoos


Soon, it might be healthier to get a tattoo in California.

The proposed bill both sets some statewide standards and allows for more stringent local rules, as well as setting penalties for not complying.

It would require shops to register annually with a law enforcement agency and pay a fee, set at the local level, to cover the cost of the program. Piercers and tattoo artists would also have to individually register, and show proof of a hepatitis B vaccine, completion of a federally overseen blood-borne pathogen training program as well as first-aid and CPR training. And body artists would be required, like cosmetologists, to post proof of their registration at work. Temporary expositions would face similar rules.


There are some cities and counties that already require these sorts of things, and I sure as hell only go to places that do. I have an awesome tattoo artist that shows me every time that he's opening sterile needles and ink. He wears gloves, and takes really good care of me. I've had 4 tattoos done by him so far, and he's working on a big whole back piece for me. I trust him with my health.

It will be good to have all shops required to be clean and licensed. There are some skeavy places out there. I got a tattoo once that was obviously done by an idiot, and the shop was dark and weird. It looked clean, but I wasn't as discerning then. I know better, now.

I have a lot of tattoos, and I love them all. I also have a hep B shot of my own, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment