Saturday, August 28, 2010

Diane amazes me.


I have done nothing but eat since I got here. Tandoori food, scallops, lamb chops, all sorts of rich and bad for diet foods. But I've had a lot of fun doing it. I've been out with my cousin Diane, too.

She talked to her son before we went out, and was telling him we'd probably split a bottle of wine on a cruise of the river. Her son said, "You'll be surprised. She's a changed woman." This is the kid we call Nancy Reagan. He's been sober all his life, and will never, I doubt, pick up a drink or a drug, unlike the rest of his family. We're all alcoholics and drug addicts, especially his mom.

Diane and I went to dinner. I told her I'd joined AA, and guess what? She was proud of me. We made a little fun of AA, spouting the slogans. I know it's all true: one day at a time, plug in the jug, etc., but sometimes it's corny and funny. I have an interesting sense of humor. I thought she was going to disuade me from the whole thing. I really thought she was going to be awful about it. But she was great. She even offered not to drink during dinner in case it would be a trigger for me.

She was the only worry for me. I knew everyone else would be supportive, but I didn't expect her to be.

Sometimes people really surprise you. This was a great surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment