Friday, August 27, 2010

Travel without booze


I had an amazing experience while traveling. I didn't drink.

Every time I fly, I get wasted. I like to have a cocktail before I get on the plane, and maybe a few more while flying. Flying to Paris, I had probably 4 bottles of those small plane wines. I had a few glasses before I got on the plane too. I have horrible travel luck, and am always delayed or cancelled, so I get a lot of time in the airport to drink. It was my favorite thing to do. Drink, get drunk, and then write. I did my best, and mostly only, writing in airports and on airplanes, while drunk.

But this time, I got to the airport and was delayed, of course, for an hour. There was a bar next to the gate, and I passed it up to buy a sandwich at a little shop. I sat in the waiting area, and concentrated on my iPod and the Marie Claire I brought with me. I avoided the bar, and I didn't have to drink.

That's the thing: I just didn't have to drink. I could remain sober, and I still had a nice flight. I was still able to sleep, and I was still thinking about writing. I'm amazed, and pleased. I hope to do it again on the way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment