Monday, December 27, 2010

3 year angry men


"After a 3-year abstinence, men from the recovering alcoholics group displayed greater signs of hostility and covert aggression. They were different from non-alcoholics on measures for indirect aggression, irritability, negativism, suspicion, resentment, and guilt."

Interesting. Apparently the aggression and anger doesn't just go away when you stop drinking. DUH. Jesus, really? They had to do a study? There is a thing called sobriety, which is excluding substances from your system, and then there is a thing called emotional sobriety. Emotional sobriety is where you take responsibility for your actions and try to change them for the better. Which is what a lot of people do through the steps, or through prayer and meditation.

Adam and I talked about it the other day, and we both agreed that alcohol is but a symptom of our emotional problems. He told me today we have a lot of the same problems, and he's right. We are both a little contrary, a little aggressive sometimes, not great at saying what we need. It leads to some miscommunications between us.

You know, though, I don't know how much clearer I can be about anything big. It's just the little stuff we argue about, like tonight I thought we were going to dinner and he thought I had eaten. Neither of us voiced anything about dinner, just made assumptions. And you know what assumptions do. We argue like little kids, too. He pinched me tonight! Bastard. I don't know what this has to do with the article. I'm just rambling at this point. See, I just got home from his house and we took a nap together, again. I love it. It's so comfortable to be with him. He's a great cuddler, but I just wish he would kiss me. I just wish he would be spontaneous and dangerous sometimes. He's much more of an overthinker than an actor. I can't expect him to be anything he's not, but I'm so afraid to make any sort of move for fear of rejection. We'll never get anywhere this way.

Damnit.

No comments:

Post a Comment