Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Grow up, kid


Every now and again we talk about emotional sobriety here. It's an old topic. Even Bill talked about it in 1958.

"Emotional sobriety encompasses our ability to live with balance and maturity." I like that definition best. But what is maturity? It can be defined as "how a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate and adaptive manner." So emotional sobriety is your brain catching up with your body, essentially. You no longer act like an ass when out in public because you're drunk, and it's time to stop opening your mouth and letting every thought out, or never opening your mouth and talking about your needs. It's time to grow up.

I think this is where my problem lies. I do oftentimes open my mouth a little too much and let people know what I need, but if it's important I tend to keep it under wraps after a while. I usually speak up once, and let it go at that. I am ridiculously honest, which can be a fault and a benefit.

So how do you be mature? There's something great from WikiHow about how to be mature. Learn manners (check), use proper grammar (check), be slow to anger (sometimes check), be an active listener (check), don't swear except to make a big point (ummm... damn.). It's a great list of do's and dont's for how to be mature. And it proves there really is a WikiHow for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment