Thursday, December 30, 2010

Therapy saves my life


"He who thinks much is not suited to be a party member: too soon, he thinks himself through and beyond the party."

I'm following this guy on Twitter who does Nietzsche quotes all day. I liked this one. I have trouble being in any sort of group, or with group-think. I don't belong to a political party, even. And I think that's where my trouble with AA comes from. I'm able to think myself through and beyond the party. I can see where it has amazing benefits, and it really is a program that was ahead of it's time - something that is transformational. It's worked for millions of people, and failed millions more.

My therapist is behind me on this. "I have you, what do I need a sponsor for?" She agreed, "Many people work the steps with the help of a therapist instead of a sponsor. However you want to do it, or even if you just want to continue with therapy, is fine by me. If it works for you, keep doing it." When I moved back here the first thing I did was find a therapist. I've been in and out of therapy since 1995, and when I'm out of it I'm crazy. Therapy keeps me sane; it's something I can rely on to help me reach inside myself and find the truth.

It works a lot like AA, I think. Therapy is a program of self-knowledge and change, if you do it right. And it addresses the underlying emotional wreckage more deeply. As you can tell, I really love therapy. I rely on it. It's one party I can get behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment