Sunday, August 29, 2010

Be the best Big Book


Today's meeting focused on the 12th step: bringing AA to others through our life practices (you know the real version).

Adam always tells me, "You may be the only Big Book someone sees." The 12th step is probably the most important step, because it is what shows other practicing alcoholics that there is a way out of that life, should they want it, and it's better over here. Maybe not greener, sometimes, but the grass is better tended on this side of the fence. It's part of the "attraction rather than promotion" part of AA, as well. Being a good person with a spiritual life gives you the opportunity to be there in the life of other people.

I'd seen AA before. I'd been with others before. But when I realized I had a problem, all Adam had to say to me is, "You know what to do." And I did. I'd seen the dramatic change in him over the past 5 years, and seen what AA had brought into his life. He is by no means perfect, and spent some of that time being a little too much of a Big Book, but he's been the best example for me.

And now I look for women in the program who have the kind of spiritual life that I want, and I ask them about themselves and their journeys. I've met some amazing women, and all of them have a piece of what I need to make myself complete. I'm gaining in knowledge and serenity everyday, and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment