Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Speaking to the crowd


So guess who was a speaker at a meeting today? That's right, me. I had to get up there and share what it was like, what happened, and what it's like now. I got a couple of laughs, but I think my story is so boring. "Drank, blacked out, drank, drugged, blacked out, stopped." But apparently I chose a topic everyone needed to talk about: honesty.

I always thought I was an honest person. I omitted a lot of stuff, yeah, but not everyone needs to know everything. I still think I'm pretty honest, if sometimes to a fault. I tend not to sugarcoat things, and just blurt them out instead. When I do lie, it's just little things like when people ask how are you, or I'll embellish a story a tad just to make it more interesting. But they're not big lies.

I've been looking for them, too. I talked to my sponsor and told her about the lies I tell, and she laughed at me. "Those aren't really lies," she said. I suppose I just have a harsh view of myself and am a little too much of a perfectionist.

So my first experience up in the front of the room went well. Ben said someone else is going to ask me soon, so apparently I'm going to get a lot of practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment