Friday, September 10, 2010

World Wide Suicide Prevention Day


Susan over at If You're Going Through Hell just reminded me that it's World Wide Suicide Prevention Day. There are a lot of good resources out there (some on the sidebar) that can help you when you're so down you feel that's the only out.

It never is. You just end up hurting other people whether you succeed or not. I remember when I tried to kill myself the only images that haunt me are of Adam and Angela. I was in the room with the doctor testing my finger and palm movement to make sure I didn't do any irreparable damage, and Adam was standing behind me. I knew he didn't want me to know, but I could hear him crying. It broke my heart. Angela just stood there stunned, hoping she could do something. Neither said a word, but I knew they would never forget that moment, either.

A few minutes later, visiting time was over and they had to leave. As they walked down the corridor to the exit, I began to cry. I was trying to stay strong and not look like the mess I really was. The moment the doors closed I fell to my knees and fell apart. All I had done was hurt the people that loved me the most, and trying to kill myself hadn't solved anything.

So if you're in that spot, just think about all the life you could live, and how you will come out of this depression. Call your doctor. Call a friend. Reach out to someone, even if it's just a suicide hotline. They are really helpful, too. And if you think you can't make it, get to your nearest hospital. Hang in there. You're worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment