Friday, September 10, 2010

Urban areas make you crazy


Living in an urban situation brings out the schizophrenia in people.

"An association between urbanicity and nonaffective psychosis was explained by higher-level characteristics, primarily school-level social fragmentation." The authors "observed cross-level markers of ethnicity, social fragmentation and deprivation on risk of developing any psychotic disorder, all with qualitative patterns of interaction."

Living without the community support of a smaller town seems to exacerbate the problems associated with mental disorders. This makes sense, seeing as people who are more socially connected are more likely to get help earlier for their disorders because people are watching.

Urban living is lonely. I remember when I moved here, it took me 8 months to meet anyone, and over a year to make any actual friends. My cousin just moved to the NW and is lonely as hell. I grew up in a large city, but it still felt small because I knew everyone from school or family. I have a large family there, and so it's like living in a small town. I can't wait to get back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment