Monday, December 13, 2010

And they say it all burns off


"According to a 2007 USDA study, even after simmering or baking for two hours, more than 10 percent of alcohol remains; quick flamed desserts retain about 75 percent of the original alcohol; and stirring alcohol into hot liquid without further cooking retains 85 percent of its original potency."

I always wondered about this kind of thing. People always talk about how all the alcohol burns off when you cook with it, but I know a lot of alcoholics avoid anything even made with alcoholic anything, including vanilla and other extracts. Apparently, they're right: it does retain a lot of the alcohol in there, and for a lot of people that's enough of a trigger, or enough to get them going.

I don't know if I wrote about it, but I had tiramisu a few months ago. It's my favorite dessert, but it's made with a lot of alcohol. Sigh. No more tiramisu for me, I suppose. I'm not one of those folks that feels the need to drink vanilla extract just for the alcohol, but better safe than sorry, especially in my first year.

Plus, I just feel so great without any alcohol in my system, so why would I want to put it back in, even in small quantities?

No comments:

Post a Comment