Monday, December 13, 2010

A boomerang rants


That's right, I said Boomerang Generation. I hate those generational terms, like X, Y, Millenials, etc. This one also has a grating, shrill kind of tone in my ear. Boomerang. Like I couldn't make it on my own. But, well, that's exactly what it means.
"Some 37 percent of 18- to 29-year-olds are unemployed or out of the workforce entirely." We'll just pretend I'm still in the 29 year old range for the sake of the article. That's a lot of kids at home, and a lot of parents in retirement age still supporting young adults. Will this trend push back the retirement age of some of these parents? Lucky for my folks, they already retired.

So what does it mean to be a boomerang kid? Well, it means I can't support myself. It means I need assistance from mom and dad of some sort. For me, that means a roof over my head. I'm in my 4th month of unemployment, and I'm really glad I moved home. I wouldn't have been able to pay off my bills and rent at the same time. As it is, I'm still carrying heavy credit card debt which I won't even be able to touch. My measly unemployment covers my bills and that's it. And we won't even talk about my health insurance bills.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with moving home. Sure, your pride takes a massive hit, but I'm really lucky to have this fall back. What would I have done without this option? Well, I'd be car-less and living in a tent. Luckily, I own one already.

No comments:

Post a Comment