Saturday, December 18, 2010

Drinking doesn't help your meds work


"Many of us with alcoholism and another mental illness - such as depression or bipolar - also struggle with what I call "episodic illiteracy."

"Episodic illiteracy" is characterized by the inability to read the warning labels on the prescription bottles of our antidepressants and mood stabilizers."


This is a hilarious little essay on how stupid we alcoholics and depressives can be. I know I loved to drink all the time, medications be damned, but I was always worried about taking other medications that might interfere with my meds. Just writing that makes me shake my head at how stupid it is! Of course, alcohol was the thing that was really messing with my system. The moment I quit drinking was the moment my drugs started working. I could feel it happen. Almost instantaneously.

No comments:

Post a Comment