Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lessons learned from being sober


"...then we can sit in the kitchen and drink mimosas, though I doubt you'll do it."

Was that a challenge or is she recognizing what I am? I told you I'm not going to restrict myself to not drinking after my one year. I think I've learned a lot of valuable lessons:

1. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to drink it
2. You can drink one and then switch to non-alcoholic
3. You can celebrate without alcohol

I think these were things I needed to learn. Lessons that will take me far. I've also had a peek at AA and learned a lot about what the program is and isn't. It's a great program, and I think it does a lot to compliment life changes. AA is somewhere you can go with like-minded folks and deal with the ups and downs of alcoholism and all that comes with it. It's like group therapy, though no commenting on other people's issues.

But I think I'm good. I haven't had much luck finding "like" folks in AA; people I can really relate to. People seem to have a lot worse luck with alcohol than me. So I think I'll be ok with the occasional drink. A glass of wine here, a beer there. And now I know I can go without when I have to drive. I'm not going to set all sorts of perimeters for myself, I'm just going to say it's ok.

But Diane thinks I won't do it. "I think you like not drinking." And you know what? She's right. I kind of like not being drunk. I've also realized that my personality is the same. I'm still the wacky, do it on a dare kind of person, drunk or sober. I have the courage to do anything and I never needed alcohol to get me to that point. It's not like I ever used it that way, but it's just nice to observe that you're the same person drunk or sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment