Saturday, March 5, 2011

What your doctor doesn't know


"Then, his goal was to help his patients become happy and fulfilled; now, it is just to keep them functional."

A great article by the New York Times on how psychiatry has become a pill farm instead of the talk therapy it once was. I totally identify, as I'm sure you do. I see my doc maybe once every 6 months, more if I'm in crisis, and I see him for 10 - 15 minutes. I tell him I feel _____ and he flips out the prescription pad.

If I could see him an hour a week, or even once a month for 30 minutes, the man might know what's going on with me and be better able to craft my med cocktail. But instead, he has to rely on what blanks I can fill in. And I'm an informed consumer who doesn't lie to my docs. What about other people who don't know what are symptoms? Who don't know what to look for? How does the doctor know what to prescribe?

It all scares me, honestly. No wonder so many people are on meds. Psychiatry is quick on it's way to becoming sham medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment