Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Are you a Coke addict?


"His Diet Pepsi cravings stem from a prior addiction to nicotine, not caffeine. 'It's all tied to smoking,' says Bagi, who smoked a pack a day for 20 years and started drinking diet soda to mask the aftertaste of cigarettes. He eventually kicked the smoking habit -- but the Diet Pepsi one stuck."

Ok, honestly, read the whole article. It's interesting all the ways diet soda may be addicting. Caffeine, conditioning, the sugar rush that's just out of reach. All these things could lead to addiction.

I'm going to admit something here: I don't have an addiction. I haven't had a diet Coke today, and I wasn't planning on having one. If I run out I often don't notice for days. But I do like them. I enjoy drinking them, and will order one over water any day. I think the problem with me is I don't like water. It's boring. So I'll drink coffee or diet Coke, or even orange juice, over water.

I only started really drinking soda when I quit drinking booze. It was just a substitute. Something to hold in my hands. And I kept it up because it's convenient and has no calories. I would honestly rather have fruit juice but it has too many calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment