Saturday, March 5, 2011

A man walks into a docs office....


"'Our data suggest that a person who walks into a physician's office feeling sad will tend to recall experiencing more symptoms than they probably really did,' Suls said. 'If a person comes into the physician's office feeling fearful, they're more likely to scan their body and read any sensations they're experiencing at that moment as something wrong.'"

Apparently, you're neurotic, too. People with depression and anxiety often experience their symptoms in a physical sense. People with depression recall having had more symptoms than they probably did, and people with anxiety think they have it all right now. Interesting, huh? So when you go to the doctor with that constant "migraine" it might just be your depressive memory saying, "damn, I've had this headache for millions of years and it was so bad I couldn't think." I know I tell myself I have all sorts of diseases and syndromes (I'm totally a hypochondriac), but I tend not to report the bodily symptoms to the doc. I like to tough them out. I'm not saying it's smart, it's just what I do.

Anyway, it's always good to keep track of those things. Write it all down. How were you feeling today? Is it depression? Anxiety? Side effects? You never can tell, but it's good to have a record.

No comments:

Post a Comment