Monday, November 22, 2010

Never just one


"When it comes to smoking cessation, there is no such thing as just one cigarette. They travel in packs."

I need to remember this all the time. That's why I'm avoiding places where cigarettes are right now. I know, just know, I'll bum one, and then I'll give up and just go buy a pack. I was at Rite Aid today and thought about buying a pack "just to have," which is such a lie. I would've smoked the hell out of those cigarettes.

There are a million things I could do instead of smoke. I really should get out for a run tomorrow morning. My body will thank me, my dog will thank me. I need to break in my new shoes, too. Maybe I'll run down to the river and run along the river for a while. It's Tuesday tomorrow, so not many people should be out on the path. Good for dogs, since he's scared of bikes and strollers.

I need to keep in mind the principles of AA during this quitting smoking time. Like H.A.L.T: Hungry, angry, lonely, tired. Like they trigger drinking, they trigger smoking urges, too. I need to walk through my feelings; to really feel my feelings as they are instead of trying to hide them with cigarettes.

So just like AA, I'm admitting I'm powerless over cigarettes, and I need the help of my higher power to not smoke. I'm going to treat myself well, and hope that everything gets better. Cause it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment