Monday, November 22, 2010

Tips for job loss


"6. Come to terms with why you were fired. Sometimes it's hard to be honest with ourselves, but when we are, we can learn from the experience. By coming to terms with why you were fired, you can analyze what you can do in the future to prevent this."

There are some great tips in this article, but this one stood out for me. Figure out why you were fired, and change that behavior. So why was I fired? A lot of people will say it was because my boss was a horrible jerk. Others will say my drinking caught up with me. But what would I say? I might say I just wasn't doing my job. I was lazy. I was stagnant.

Sure, I was trying, but I wasn't trying very hard. I was coasting along not really doing anything to make my work better. I was just doing the rote work. I could have tried harder. I could have done more for the company. I could have worked hard. But I didn't. I just worked, but I spent most of my time messing around - emailing friends, playing on Facebook, etc.

So what can I do next time? I can take work seriously. I can find a place I really want to work for, and I can do the best job I can. I can stay away from the internet during work hours, and just email friends on breaks. I can work.

No comments:

Post a Comment