Sunday, November 21, 2010

Self will run riot


"Psychological theories have traditionally explained depression as "Anger turned inward against the self." If you fail to live up to some internal standard of who or what you are supposed to be, some internal watchdog notes your failure and begins to let you know that you haven't been all that you could be--depression. People often talk about being angry with themselves because they have not accomplished or achieved or done what they think they should have. This explanation accounts for the diminished self esteem depressed people often report."

This is from an article on depression. Ah, the failure to live up to ideals. I think I need to be in one place in this time of my life, and I'm not. I thought I would be married with kids by now, but I got over that. I wonder if I'll just get over thinking I should be a career woman right now, and go back to working retail? I wonder when my unemployment runs out? I should look that up.

I do have high internal standards of who I'm supposed to be. I suppose everyone does. I'm constantly being told I'm too hard on myself, but aren't we all supposed to try and achieve? Aren't we all encouraged to reach for something better for ourselves? And what happens when it's all taken away from you by one swift action from an asshole like my old boss? What happens then? Well, wouldn't YOU be hard on yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment