Monday, November 1, 2010

Alcohol is the most dangerous drug


Thanks to Guinevere for this:

According to a new study in England,"Alcohol is the most dangerous drug in the UK by a considerable margin, beating heroin and crack cocaine into second and third place...."

"It examines nine categories of harm that drugs can do to the individual "from death to damage to mental functioning and loss of relationships" and seven types of harm to others."

Alcohol can cause all sorts of problems, as we've seen in other posts and articles, from liver death to dementia, to relationship issues and violence. It really is an amazing "drug." I suppose that doesn't need to be in quotations, but I still don't think of it as a drug. I guess it really is, though.

That's why I think AA is so helpful. You're not only solving the health issues, but just not drinking, but you're helping to solve the other issues that go along with drinking: failed relationships, job issues, financial instability, etc. It's tough just to deal with the drug and not all of the issues it represents.

My sponsor and I were talking about quitting smoking (she tries all the time), and I told her I cut when I quit. She reminded me that we're still crazy, the alcohol is just gone. And that's what the steps are there for: to help you get over the crazy and live a normal life. So stopping drinking isn't the answer, it's just the first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment