Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My way or the highway? Nah


The other night Adam mentioned to me that his therapist and sponsor said he's ready to date again. I didn't say anything, and just let it hang in the air. I didn't know what to say. I obviously want him to date me, not anyone else, and he wouldn't think about it until I've hit a year sober, anyway.

I was talking to Jennifer tonight, and she said how unfair it was of him to mention that. What am I supposed to do, be happy for him? Encourage him to date? She thinks I need to talk to him and remind him how I feel about him, and talk about how it would be difficult for me to watch him date.

But would it be difficult? Yeah. I think it would be a bit of a slap in the face if he started dating someone before I even get the chance to try, but he's his own person, and he's welcome to live his own life. I would get over it. If he makes a statement about wanting to date other people, and not me, then I would have to sit down with myself and make sure I can stay friends with him without hurting myself. I would have to get over him once and for all.

I'm pretty sure I can do it. Sure, I love him and want to be the one to be with him, but if I'm not, that's ok. I love him as a friend enough to want what he thinks is best for him. I would support his decisions. So it might take me some time, and a little heartache, but I think I could handle it. Therapy would help, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment