Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Access to meds


Something you would think is obvious:

"...psychiatric patients who reported access problems with their medication visited the emergency department 74 percent more often than those who had no such difficulties."

This is what I worry about. And since I don't have insurance, the taxpayers would be taking on the cost of my hospitalization. What's cool is I have a doctor who is willing to work with me to find a generic that will cost a quarter of what I'm paying now, just in case I don't have a job in March. And I'm sure my dad would help me again if I need to buy expensive meds. No one wants me to be hospitalized or go crazy, and we all have seen what happens when I don't take meds.

There are so many people out there who have no access or can't afford medications. It's just horrible. It makes them even less appealing to insurance companies because they are more likely to be hospitalized. It's just a vicious cycle, and a catch-22.

No comments:

Post a Comment