Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Getting through the holidays


"Don't stay home and mope." Not that I'm moping, or anything, but I'm sure as hell not participating in life. I'm just sitting here on my space on the couch (which I feel is getting an imprint of my butt). I'm thinking about stuff like running, going to meetings, traveling, getting my next tattoo, etc. But I'm not actually doing any of it. I'm just sitting here.

The article is about what to do in early recovery to get through the holiday season. A lot of it is what we've already discussed: don't go places where there is alcohol (or drugs), don't mope, find some AA people to hang out with. All great suggestions. Will I take them? Probably not. Why? Because I'm lazy. I know it. I know it's one of my character defects.

I suppose what you do about that is force yourself to do stuff until it becomes habit. My therapist sent me a bunch of resources like Meetup.com where I can find social activities to get me off the couch. She thinks I need to make some new friends, not that my old ones are bad, but I need more. I think she's right. But will I do it? You know the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment