Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Ah, young me, you were so cool


Dear self,

You didn't do anything wrong. I'm not here to tell you how to live your life, because I know you'll never listen - you never do, you just jump. I'm here to tell you that your instincts have been pretty right on. You know what you want, and you go and get it. You're doing a great job.

I'll tell you some things you already know: that degree? Just a pretty piece of paper, and no, you'll never frame it. It's in the closet at dad's house still in the roll they mailed it in. But it's a pretty green roll. And, yeah, rely on that counseling office a little more. I think you can get out of it more than they're giving, though they'll always be really good to you. Just try a little harder.

You made the right friend back there, and she took you to a place that will give you friends for life, and the love of your life. You already know him, you just don't think of him like that. He's just a sweet and crazy guy, right now, but really look in his eyes - you love him. You still do. You always will.

And that's the one thing I might want to tell you: it's about him. But you know what? I'm not going to. Things turn out the way they're supposed to, and right now there's a me in the future writing to the current me and telling me how it all worked out. Or how it's still going on. But I won't spoil the surprises for you. Just keep up the good work.

Oh, and maybe just throw away the sharp things. You can't hide them from her, but maybe hide them from you.

Love always,

Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment