Sunday, December 19, 2010

We're all alcoholics here


"Functional subtype: 19.5 percent of U.S. alcoholics. Typically middle-aged, well-educated, with stable jobs and families. About one-third have a multigenerational family history of alcoholism, about one-quarter had major depressive illness sometime in their lives, and nearly 50 percent were smokers."

Sounds like me! Now, AA would tell you there's no such thing as a functional alcoholic. We're all dysfunctional; we all have such problems that we just don't recognize them. But researchers found there were 5 subtypes of alcoholics, and "functional" was one of them.

I sure as hell have a multigenerational history of alcoholism. My great uncle was a severe alcoholic, and died from it. He was also a life-long smoker. There are rumors my grandma drank too much, but she died before I was born and my mom only says good things about her. My uncle is totally an alcoholic. Neither of my parents drink - in fact, I think I've seen my dad drink twice in my life. My mom has a sherry every now and again (and I mean like every few years) but she went through a heavy vodka phase during the divorce.

I always felt functional, and I never lost things like my home and my job. But I can guarantee you I was, and am, an alcoholic. So if you're out there and you're not sure, talk to someone. Go to an AA meeting and just listen. You might not be, but you might just get a life changing realization from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment