Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Drugs hurt your arteries


All sorts of fun death can be associated with amphetamine use. And amphetamines aren't just the commonly abused ones like meth, but also Adderall and Ritalin.

They've found "a link between aortic dissection and amphetamine abuse," and "a relationship between a diagnosis of amphetamine abuse and heart attack," and that "Increasing rates of amphetamine and cocaine usage by young adults significantly boost their risk of stroke, with amphetamine abuse associated with the greatest risk."

Basically, heavy use of amphetamines can kill you. Duh. I know they can be a lot of fun, but that pounding in your heart can cause tears in your arteries and the possibility of heart attack and stroke, even in young people. I always worried I was going to have a heart attack after taking 7 pills of Adderall. That was the most I ever took at one time, and it was for a bachelorette party.

I arrived on Friday night, late, and slept on the couch. We got up in the morning and headed out for a long day of spa and food, and then off to a club where we had a private room. I was popping Adderall all day long just to stay awake, and plus it makes you feel less drunk no matter how much you drink. I was in school at the time for a certificate, and I had to be back Sunday morning at 9 to take an exam. I popped more pills all through the night, and stayed up till I got on the plane. I made it back, took the test (and barely passed), and then went home and crashed for 13 hours.

I love Adderall. Giving my supply away was harder than giving up my wine, and that was tough. I really wanted to keep it. Sober is different from clean, and I was only promising AA that I'd be sober, right? I didn't have a problem with drugs, so I could still take them. Only I bought them in Mexico and smuggled them over the border. They weren't my prescription, and I wasn't supposed to be taking them with my drugs. And I was taking them so I could get drunker. I was abusing drugs. Oops. So I gave them up, too. Now, I've been sober and clean for 95 days. Let's hope for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment