Thursday, September 2, 2010

A slippery slope?


"The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has upheld the constitutionality of an act that allows for parents and guardians to have minors involuntarily committed for drug and alcohol treatment.

Writing that prior case law established the presumption that parents act in the best interest of their children, the court, by way of a 6-1 majority, ruled that parents' rights to make decisions on the care of their children are "paramount" to the constitutional rights of their children."


I agree that kids should get treatment, and that their parents are looking out for them, most of the time, but this is a slippery slope. I know back in the old days when you could involuntarily commit someone for mental illness it ended up with lots of "difficult" women being put away, sometimes by men who were just cheating and needed their wives out of the way.

But despite that, I'm actually for the commitment process. We have a good process now in the US where it takes a ton of hearings and paperwork to get something to happen. This sucks when someone is in the acute phase of their illness, but is proper to protecting folks. I wish I could have gotten my mom committed a bunch of times, but I would have had to file for guardianship, and she's too smart to let that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment