Thursday, September 2, 2010

Here we go again


I say this all the time, but I've really got to quit smoking. I've become addicted, whereas I used to be able to just put them down for a while. I smoke in the morning, now, which I never used to do. I'm smoking about a half pack a day. It used to be 4 a day! And that wasn't too long ago.

"According to the U.S. Surgeon General, tobacco addiction can be as difficult to break as addiction to heroin or cocaine."

For sure, it is. Smoking is super addictive both in the chemicals and in the habit itself. Just like alcohol, there are trigger moments with smoking. You go to places you used to smoke, and that's all you want to do. Or you experience stress or disappointment, and that's what you turn to. It's so habit-forming.

So I need to change my behavior. I know with drinking you make rules, like no drinking at work, or just one, and it doesn't work, so I think not smoking has to be something other than just rules for myself. I need to find a way to cut back. I really should go get the lozenges and pop one when I want a cigarette. Or go back to chewing on Tootsie Roll pops. Those probably taste better than Commit.

No comments:

Post a Comment