Thursday, September 2, 2010

13 steps


Adam just called and talked to me about my program. See, if I move back that means we'll be geographically closer, and more likely to want to hook up with each other. There is a great mutual love and respect there, and so he voiced his concerns about "13th stepping" me.

In the program they say to watch out for the newcomer and make sure someone doesn't take advantage of them. 13th stepping is when an old-timer tries, or does, take a newcomer to bed or starts dating them. You've got to solidify your program before you can start dating, which is why they say don't change anything in the first year. Things like relationship woes may lead you to drink.

So Adam called to say we need to be careful not to fall into any inappropriate contact. He doesn't want to be that guy, and he doesn't want to threaten my sobriety. I really appreciate the concern. I know he wants me to succeed in this program, and being single is a part of it for a little while. I said, "So I have to wait till May to have sex with you?" To which he replied not to even joke about it. So serious! But I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment