Sunday, August 29, 2010

I like my crazy sometimes



Sometimes I just love the secrets on PostSecret. It's a great blog.

I felt a serious sense of relief when I was diagnosed. It made so much sense. I knew then that not being a normal kid was just part of being me. I made peace with the fact that I was just going to be weird, and kind of embraced it. I let my mind be as creative as it was going to be, and didn't censor my thoughts just because I was "different." I wasn't different. I was still going through all the things other kids went through, I was just going through them with a different perspective.

That's all I really think mental illness is: perspective changer. It gives you insight into yourself because of the self-reflectiveness of both mania and depression. Sure, sometimes those reflections are skewed by self-hatred or grandiosity, but in our sometimes they help us accomplish the things we should be accomplishing. I mean, how many times have you been manic and created amazing art (written, painted, whatever)? How many times have you written amazing poetry while depressed? There's a good reason many of the world's best writers and artists were diagnosed mentally ill. It really is a thing that can get us in touch with deeper parts of our soul.

Not that others can't - not saying that. Just saying it might be easier for us "sensitive" folks. We read the world looking for those slight cues to how to be normal or look for what normal is, and find the truth to human existence. I think we're better off, but only better off while medicated or have the disease under control. It's still a disease capable of taking you out and you have to be careful with it. But in those periods of up or down, just search for beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment