Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sleep the day away


Lying there in my near catatonic state the other night, I heard my dad come in to my room, lean over, and turn off the light by my bed. I knew he was there, but there was no way I could have the energy to say thank you. I woke up late the next day, dashing out of my room to get to work, and there he was, still sitting in his recliner. The poor man has insomnia.

He's been awake for three days on around 5 hours of sleep. He sits in his recliner and reads the paper or watches old movies on the movie channel. He waits for sleep to come and it never does.

On the other side of the apartment there's me with hypersomnia. All I can do is sleep. I wake up only to feed, and then I'm back down, sunk into my comforter.

Both insomnia and hypersomnia have nasty side effects, from heart disease to relationship problems. We're a mess of sleep disorders here at my house. I know mine is med and depression related, but who knows what's wrong with dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment