Thursday, February 3, 2011

No baby boom here


I was just having an email conversation with someone on Facebook and complimented her on how adorable her daughter was. She thanked me, and the conversation went on, but it led my thoughts in another direction: I don't think I want kids.

I bat that idea around all the time, but I am starting to think that it's really true. I mean, when my cousin's son was little I hated having to babysit. I just didn't know what to do with him. Of course, I was 16 and crazy at the time, but I think it is a character part of me. I just am not interested in small children. I don't particularly find it fulfilling to be around them. They just distract from conversation. Is that harsh?

I imagine a life without kids could be lonely. I hope to get married, or partnered, or whatever someday. I would like to share my life with another adult, but kids... I just don't think so. If it suddenly happened I don't know that I would say no, but I wouldn't seek out kids.

Does that make me less of a grown up?

No comments:

Post a Comment