Friday, February 4, 2011

Eat this, not that


Do you ever think that maybe Americans obsession with dietary and nutrition guidelines is what makes us a fat country? I mean, we're all obsessed with food. New dietary guidelines came out today from the gov't. And I think this quote says it all: "And my wife, Christie, and I are now following the guidelines. We have our little sheet every day. We record what we eat. And we are very, very concerned about calories in and calories out."

The other day a friend of mine asked another friend, Crickett, how French women stay so thin. Crickett, whose mom is French, said, "French women don't worry about what they eat. They eat everything, but in moderation." And I believe that's what many other countries do: everything, but in moderation. It's the only way to enjoy life. You can't be focused all the time on how many calories are going in and how many are being burned off (says the girl who is tracking just that with Weight Watchers. I know, I'm a hypocrite, sort of).

Ok, about the hypocrite thing, I track what I eat but I eat what I want. If I want to have a slice of chocolate cake, I do. I just make sure to write it down, and then not eat as much for another meal. I'm not starving myself, believe you me. In fact, I think I eat way too much. This is why my pants don't fit. Well, my pants probably don't fit because I stopped running. Sigh. I need to start running soon. Like Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment